Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Turning My Dormant Account Into A High Performing UITF Investment

While updating mine’s and my wife’s balance sheets two weeks ago, my wife noticed that one of my bank accounts was not incurring any returns and remain latent with the bank. It was my non-interest bearing checking account with China Banking Corporation which I used to issue post dated checks to acquire our real estate properties.

Most of our bank accounts were tied with our paper asset investments as settlement accounts while the balances were maintained to the required amount to acquire interests.

Since we stop investing in real estate assets more than a year ago to focus more of our resources in building our paper assets on long term, there was no transaction done with the said bank account.

Thinking that we may still have the need to use it since my wife is planning to acquire a few foreclosed properties to be rented out to create monthly passive income, I went to my China Bank branch in Antipolo City to deposit a few amount of pesos just to record a transaction to avoid the dormancy charges. To my surprise, the bank was charging me a penalty of P400 pesos for the two month dormant period after a year and two months that I did not made any transactions!          

Disgusted over the huge penalty that was charged against my account, I asked the bank personnel to close it instead.

Though small amount, I was frustrated about the cash that was lost due to my ignorance of my bank’s dormancy period and the corresponding charges in case I defaulted.

Thinking about creative ways on how to regain the cash I just lost, I went straight to the nearby BDO Unibank just across Antipolo Cathedral to open an ATM Savings account.

While my ATM account application was being processed, I ask the branch manager if at the same time, I can also apply for investment participation with BDO Equity Fund. She fondly obliged while asking me if I am also interested to participate with BDO’s Easy Investment Plan (BDO EIP). I said “yes” while thanking her for the kind service that she had extended to me.

Within an hour of signing the required documents, I was able to open my BDO ATM account and at the same time deposited my funds to be bought for my units of participation with BDO Equity Fund. My BDO Easy Investment Plan was also programmed to debit P2,000 pesos every month starting 30th October 2013.

How’s my initial fund participation with BDO Equity Fund doing today after two weeks with the fund?

To share with you, here are the data about my fund.

I bought my initial units at NAVPU of 365.3579. Today’s NAVPU is 383.7896.

Computing those data to get my fund's returns;


NAVPU during participation = 365.3579
NAVPU today = 383.7896

%ROI = (383.7896 – 365.3579)/365.3579

%ROI = 5.04%

By switching my non-performing and dormant checking account into a high performing equity Unit Investment Trust Fund, my money had work hard for a few weeks to give me returns of 5.04 % higher than the annual interest rate of any savings account or time deposit in the market today!