Friday, May 16, 2014

Pera Palaguin Workbook .... Signed At Last!

One of the very instrumental material that opened my horizons on my long journey towards financial freedom is a book titled “Pera Palaguin Workbook: Practicing What You Learned!” written by Mr. Francisco J. Colayco and Professor Helen S. Valderrama.

Along with the books “Wealth Within Your Reach: Pera Mo Palaguin Mo!” and “Making Your Money Work: Pera Mo Palaguin Mo! 2”, these books were really gems that will definitely awaken your senses from long financial illiteracy slumber.

How these books have created influence on me and how they steered my journey towards financial freedom will take me back ten years ago when everything about my life was wonderful except the financial aspect.

I was employed with Selecta Walls, Inc. (now Unilever RFM Ice Cream, Inc.) as one of the Supervisors for Engineering at that time. I am receiving about P32,000 pesos as monthly compensation, an above-average salary not including the overtime pay which I am rendering frequently.

Having three small kids and a house mortgage that needed to be paid every month, I wondered and confused as well how my income was not able to sustain my family’s needs that sometimes we resort to credit cards to pay groceries and other things that our household needs.

With poor financial knowledge, the high salary that we thought was more than enough to support our living expenses have turned out into an inadequate source of income.

I started to ask myself why such a predicament is happening and how could I diffuse such dilemma.

My initial reaction is to monitor our expenses. I bought a record book and started to record our expenses up to the detail most especially my personal expenses going to and from the manufacturing plant.

However, even when the expenses were already in detail (thanks for that blue record book!) and the figures are there glaring in front of my eyes, I don’t know how to react and make actions to correct and plug the holes of wrong spending.

The answer to my financial miseries came to my path when one day, I dropped in one of the branches of National Bookstore on my way home. I saw that thin black soft-bound book with yellow edges and in its front cover is a white - haired man smiling as if saying “Come buy me, I have the answers you are longing for”.

I got some bills from my Pony wallet and paid the price of P145.00 for the said book and went home. Once I got home, I put the book into my book shelves for me to read it on the coming Sunday morning.




I read the book that early Sunday while I drink my favorite coffee blend. The book was not your usual book full of talks, motivations and theorems but of How To’s and exercises that you need to do to understand how exactly you are performing on your financial life.

Yes, the book will make you obliged to tabulate your Statement of Assets and Liabilities, calculate your Net Worth and prepare your Personal Income and Expenses Statements (PIES) based on the exercises that is written in the book.

These are simple exercises yet it made a huge impact on my financial life. It awaken me on how we spent our finances the wrong way and shows us the way on how we can correct these misconceptions by understanding on how to spend with the necessity items and turn-away from the luxury items or wants.

Nine years had passed from that day, on the present day today, a very meaningful event had happened to me and my wife.

Both of us were invited to the launching and screening of a very new personal finance TV show titled “Nang Magising Si Juan” last Tuesday, 13th of May, by no-less than the Manager for Operations of the Colayco Foundation for Education, Inc., Ms. Kimi Villa-Real.

The show, by the way, will be aired every Sunday on GMA NewsTV starting May 18, 2014.

Both of us were very excited to attend the event. But for me, it would be extra-meaningful.

Why?

It will be my very rare chance to see and rubbed shoulders with my idol, no-less than Philippine’s Personal Finance Guru, Mr. Francisco J. Colayco.






And most importantly, I will have my once-in-a-lifetime chance to have my most important book, the “Pera Palaguin Workshop book signed by him.

And what happened next?









I got his autograph for my book, talked and laugh with him in person and got a souvenir copy of his best-selling “Wealth Within Your Reach: Pera Mo, Palaguin Mo!” book!






My Sunday morning coffee, definitely, will be tastier this time around!